Thousands of people living in America sustain injuries due to accidents that involve slipping on something and falling each year. If you have had a similar experience, you need to be aware of the rights you have due to the circumstances of the situation.
If you fell and are now suffering from extensive injuries, know that you are not the only one who has been in this situation before. Many of the people that visit emergency rooms and urgent care centers do so because they slipped on something, fell directly to the ground, and ended up getting hurt. Many of the injuries sustained in slip-and-fall accidents are serious enough to cause death. Roughly 16,000 people will die from slip and fall incidents each year.
While some injuries are life-threatening, most others are simply painful and can prevent a person from being as active as they once were. It appears that problems like these are continuing to occur with an increasing number of people slipping, falling and getting hurt over the past several years.
Important Facts You Need to Know
- Aging individuals and young kids have a greater chance of suffering from injuries that were sustained due to these types of accidents
- There are quite a few causes of these accidents, including sidewalks that are not designed or paved correctly, potholes in the street that are difficult to see at night, ice on the ground outside of a home, and slippery floors
- These accidents can occur when someone is negligent, such as a property owner that refuses to shovel the sidewalk or a business owner that had the floors mopped without putting up warnings or caution signs of the wet surface
- It is believed that within the next year, losses in productivity will rise from workers losing time due to injuries they sustain in slip-and-fall accidents
- When a person slips, falls, and gets hurt, he or she can suffer from major injuries, including concussions, chronic back pain, fractured bones, and more
The Best Thing to Do If This Happens to You
Some people feel embarrassed after slipping and falling. These accidents can happen in front of a large group of people, so it is only natural to feel a bit overwhelmed when all eyes are on you. However, you should know that there is a chance that you slipped due to the negligence of someone else. You are likely not at fault for your injuries. Over 70 percent of these accidents occur due to specific circumstances that are beyond the control of the injured individual.
You never expected to fall while walking around. You have the right to expect to walk safely and comfortably, whether you are outside, hanging at someone else’s house, or even spending time at the mall. Certain conditions could have caused you to quickly trip and fall right to the ground. Now that you have been injured, you need to know of your legal rights. There are several steps you can take immediately after your fall. Those steps include:
- Get someone to help you. Do not risk trying to get up when you are injured because it might hurt even more to do so. Ask for someone to assist you with medical care, even if it means calling an ambulance for help. If it is a stranger, ask the person for his or her name and phone number.
- Go to the hospital to find out if there is anything wrong. Even if you do not experience a lot of pain right away, you could still have a fracture, spinal injury, or some other issue that is going to cause you pain in the future. Getting yourself checked out right away is the best thing for you to do.
- Keep track of what happened. Take photos of the scene if possible. Ask for statements from anyone who may have witnessed your fall. Those witnesses will come in handy when you decide to take legal action due to the extent of those injuries and the medical bills you now have.
- File a report when you are out and about. Most companies are going to want you to create an accident report that provides details about what happened and how it happened. Always request a copy of the report for yourself and to give to your attorney.
- Find out about your legal options. You should speak to a personal injury attorney to go over the specific details of your accident and then find out if you have a case that is worth pursuing. There is a very good chance that you do have a valid claim.
Contact a Perth Amboy Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Slip and Fall Case in New Jersey
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a slip and fall in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at The Law Offices of Karim Arzadi represent clients injured because of slip and fall in Perth Amboy, East Orange, Woodbridge, Paterson, and throughout New Jersey. Call 866-632-4211 or email us to schedule a free consultation about your case. You can also go to courtlaw.com and simply complete the form at the website to let us know what happened to you and how we may reach you. We have an office conveniently located at 163 Market Street in Perth Amboy, NJ 08861.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.