Filing a Car Accident Claim Against Lyft
Have you been injured in an accident involving a Lyft driver? Pursuing compensation in an accident involving a rideshare vehicle such as a Lyft vehicle can be complex. Below we take a look at the process of filing a car accident claim against Lyft.
Who Can I hold Liable in a Lyft Accident?
Like with any other car accident claim, the party that is responsible for the accident must be identified in order to hold them liable. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, multiple parties may be held liable for the accident including:
- The Lyft driver
- Other drivers that were involved in the car accident
- The manufacturer of the vehicle or a defective car part that contributed to the car accident
- A government agency responsible for maintaining the road
When Can You Bring a Car Accident Claim Against Lyft?
Whether you will be able to bring a car accident claim against Lyft will depend on who was at fault as well as other circumstances of the car accident. If the car accident was caused by the Lyft car driver, then the car driver is liable for the damages resulting from the car accident. You can also make a claim against Lyft. This is true whether you were a passenger, a pedestrian, a cyclist, or another motorist.
It is important to note that Lyft’s insurance is only available when the driver is on the clock. A Lyft driver is considered to be on the clock when they are transporting a Lyft passenger, waiting to receive an assignment (i.e. the Lyft app is on), or when they are on the way to pick up a Lyft passenger. The amount available as insurance coverage will depend on whether the Lyft driver was transporting a passenger, en route to pick up a passenger, or waiting for a request.
There are instances when you may be able to recover compensation from Lyft’s insurance coverage even when the Lyft driver was not at fault for the accident. If another motorist was responsible for the accident but is uninsured or underinsured, you can seek compensation from Lyft’s insurance policy.
Lyft’s Insurance Coverage in New Jersey
The amount of coverage available through Lyft’s insurance policy varies depending on the circumstances of the accident. The coverage works as follows:
- If the Lyft driver is logged into the application and waiting for a request from Lyft passengers, Lyft insurance coverage will provide bodily coverage of up to $50,000 per person and $100,000 per incident as well as property damage coverage of up to $25,000 per accident. Lyft insurance provides uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage of up to $15,000 per person or $30,000 per accident.
- If the Lyft driver was en-route to collect a passenger or was transporting a Lyft passenger, Lyft insurance cover provides up to $1.5 million in property liability and personal injury coverage as well as up to $15 million in underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage and medical expenses coverage of up to $10,000.
If you have been injured in a car accident involving a Lyft driver, contact our law firm to learn about your rights and options.
Contact a Perth Amboy Car Accident Lawyer to Discuss Your Case Today
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries in a rideshare vehicle? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, who can help you with filing a car accident claim against Lyft. The skilled attorneys at CourtLaw represent clients injured because of Lyft accidents in Hoboken, New Brunswick, Perth Amboy, East Orange, and throughout New Jersey. Call (732) 442-5900 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 163 Market St., Perth Amboy, NJ 08861, as well as offices in New Brunswick, Roselle, East Orange, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Linden, Newark, Paterson, South Amboy, Trenton.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.