What You Need to Know About Personal Injury Claims in New Jersey

What You Need to Know About Personal Injury Claims in New Jersey

When an individual suffers harm due to another’s carelessness or intentional actions, they can file a claim for personal injury. You can file a personal injury claim for things such as car accidents, slip and falls, medical malpractice, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, bus accidents, accidents involving bicyclists and pedestrians, dog bites, construction accidents, and workplace injuries. If you or someone you know has been injured in New Jersey, it’s important to understand the basics of personal injury claims to protect your legal rights.

The Statute of Limitations

The statute of limitations is the time limit for filing a personal injury claim. In New Jersey, you have two years from the date of the injury to file a claim. However, there are exceptions to this rule, and certain types of claims may have shorter or longer time limits. In some cases, it’s impossible to figure out what caused an injury until many years later. You should talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer to find out what the statute of limitations is for your case.

Comparative Negligence

In New Jersey, a system called “comparative negligence” is used. This means that each person’s level of fault for the accident will be taken into account when figuring out how much compensation to give. If you are found to be partially at fault for the accident, your compensation may be reduced proportionally. For example, if you are found to be 20% at fault and the other party is 80% at fault, your compensation will be reduced by 20%.


Personal injury compensation in New Jersey may include economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages can be measured, like medical bills, lost wages, and damage to property. Damages that aren’t based on money, like pain and suffering, emotional distress, and the loss of being able to enjoy life, are called “non-economic damages.”

No-Fault Insurance

New Jersey is a no-fault insurance state, which means that your own insurance company will pay for your medical expenses and lost wages regardless of who was at fault for the accident. However, there are certain exceptions to this rule, and you may be able to pursue a personal injury claim against the at-fault party if you meet certain criteria.

Hiring an Attorney

Hiring a skilled personal injury lawyer can make it much more likely that you will get fair compensation for your injuries. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process, find evidence, talk with insurance companies, and represent you in court if necessary.

Contact a Perth Amboy Personal Injury Lawyer Today for a Free Consultation About Your Personal Injury Case

Personal injury claims in New Jersey can be complex, and it is important to understand your rights and options. At CourtLaw, our experienced personal injury attorneys are committed to helping clients get fair compensation for their injuries. We know how hard it is for people who have been hurt in an accident, and we are committed to providing personalized and compassionate legal help. Whether you have been injured in a car accident, a slip and fall, or another type of accident, we have the knowledge and resources to help you navigate the legal process of personal injury cases.

Call (732) 442-5900 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 163 Market St., Perth Amboy, NJ 08861, as well as offices in New Brunswick, Roselle, East Orange, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Linden, Newark, Paterson, South Amboy, Trenton.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.

For over a decade, CourtLaw has represented me and my family on matters related to car accidents and personal injury cases. I am extremely satisfied with the work the firm has performed. In addition, the staff is professional, friendly, and efficient. I highly recommend Karim Arzadi to those seeking a good lawyer.
I am very pleased for the great legal support that CourtLaw has provided to me and my family throughout the years we have been clients of this firm. I highly recommend CourtLaw and their team of attorneys.
The entire staff at CourtLaw were supportive to me and my family and provided excellent representation in my car accident case from the beginning of the case to the successful settlement. I highly recommend Karim Arzadi to anyone who needs an excellent and caring attorney. He fights hard for his clients.

Meet Our Experienced Team

Have You Been Injured?

Speak With An Attorney Today



Settlement / Rideshare Accident



Settlement / Car Accident



Settlement / Car Accident



Settlement / Car Accident



Settlement / Car Accident



Settlement / Car Accident